(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Monday, September 20, 2004

Couple of moves made by the Jays over the weekend. Gustavo Chacin and Brandon League got promoted to the big club after their AA team won the Eastern League title. To make room for these two, Frank Catalanatto was moved from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list. While Aquilino Lopez was designated for assignment. Comments on the three:

Chacin: He had a pretty good year for the Jays this year but I'm afraid a gaudy W/L record might be getting some people too excited about his ability. Between AA and AAA this year he went a combined 18-2. That's pretty much unheard of at the minor league level. At AA this year he went 16-2 with a 2.86 ERA in 141.2 IP, 109 SO to 49 BB and gave up 7.18 H/9. At AAA he went 2-0 with a 2.31 ERA in 11.2 IP, 14 SO to 3 BB and gave up 12.34 H/9. All in all, those are some pretty good numbers. But they are not the stuff of an Ace. At AA he only had about a 2-1 SO/BB ration and didn't come anywhere near striking out a batter an inning. These numbers are usually a pretty good sign of what kind of stuff a pitcher has. I do think Ricciardi understands this and just wants to see how the kid does at the Major League level. Heck, if he puts together a couple of good starts he might be used in a trade this off-season. You never know. Overall, I think he's probably a #4 starter at the major league level if he stays healthy and things break well for him. Best case scenario I think he could be a #3. I did not see him pitch this year but I did see him pitch twice for New Haven last year and I wasn't ever all that impressed.

League: Now this kid, I really like. The Jays got League in the 2001 amateur draft in the 2nd round as the 59th overall pick. As a 21-year old kid he pitched all season for AA New Hampshire in the Eastern League. He pitched in 41 games of which he started 10. He had a 3.38 ERA in 104 innings, 90 SO to 41 BB and 7.96 H/9. These numbers are good but what makes them great is they were done by a kid who's 21. This is young for the league and it tells me he's still going to get better. The interesting thing with League is I'm not sure how he's being groomed. In the past he was used as a starter but this year he was used out of the bullpen a lot. I do think he could turn into a late inning closer but I don't think you do that to a young pitcher until he shows he can't start at the Major League level. I will ALWAYS take a starter over a reliever. Jumping from AA to the bigs is a long way to go but we'll see what he can do. I can't wait to see him pitch.

Lopez: What the heck happened to this guy? 3.42 ERA in 73.2 IP, 7.82 K/9, 7.09 H/9 in 2003 for the Jays and then he just fell off that map. He had a 6.00 ERA in 21 IP for the Jays this year. For AA Syracuse, he had a 7.17 ERA! His walk number and K numbers were OK but he gave up 12.23 H/9. I have not heard a lot of reports on him out of Syracuse so I don't know if a bunch of bloop hits were falling in or if guys were tearing into the ball. Now that he's off the 40-man the best he can hope for from Toronto is a non-roster invitation to Spring Training. We'll probably see him claimed on waivers or sign elsewhere though.

That's all for now. I'm going to be away on business until sometime on Friday. Once I get back I'll have to get caught up on what's going on. I'm relaying on my loyal readers to drop me a link if they see any minor moves our there.